Health, Non-fiction, Wellness
(Paperback | ISBN 9789388326209 | 312 pp | Nov 2018)
• Why have we Indians become so suddenly, and so quickly, obese?
• Why are our children overweight? Will they be diabetic and hypertensive before they are thirty?
• What is making us overweight? Is it our ‘homefood’ or ‘outsidefood’?
• What happens to food once we eat it, and how is it linked to obesity?
• And if we are obese, what can we do about it?
In Fat, doctors Ishrat Syed and Kalpana Swaminathan meld the newest research with their own clinical experience to answer these questions and uncover the links between food and our bodies. We discover the magical relationship between the brain and the fat cell; how it enhances our enjoyment of a delicious meal, how it tricks us into choosing the right foods in the right amounts, and how this perfect balance can go haywire. We learn of the ways in which the stresses of our modern lifestyles—especially in urban India—are pushing us into becoming overweight, and what we can do about it. We learn, also, the essential principles of the perfectly balanced meal and how simple it is to implement them in our kitchens.
Specially focused on India, this accessible and timely volume tells us everything we need to know about our body, the food we eat to fuel it, and what we must guard against—and do—so that we keep ourselves, and our children, healthy and energized.