Chanda Singh was born in 1948 in Nagpur, then capital of Madhya Bharat. Her early childhood was spent in the family’s ancestral wadas at Jagir Mohpa and Estate Pardi. She passed the Senior Cambridge examination from St Joseph’s Convent, Nagpur, one of the first missionary schools in India. Introduced to fishing and shikar early in life, Singh always loved the outdoors and travelling. She left studies following marriage to a tea planter working on a British agency-owned garden in southern Assam’s Cachar, where she spent eight years. She then lived in District Lakhimpur where her two sons were born.
The family settled in Agra in the early seventies and Singh returned to her studies, earning, by 1978, MA degrees in Philosophy and English. Her teaching career commenced in 1978. PhDs in Philosophy and English followed, along with research supervision. Post-retirement, she has pursued her several interests and worked on this novel.